Friday, October 3, 2014

Within the Deep

You were mine and yet, I didn’t understand you.
When I looked upon you, I felt only fear and shame.
So, like a stone, I tossed you into the sea,
Deeper and deeper you sank, disappearing into the dark.



Over the years I would think of you.
Sometimes I could almost hear your desperate calls,
Echoing up through the murky depths
But, being afraid, I put up my walls


I went about my life, pretending you weren’t there.
I played my role and almost felt whole,
But inside I knew I could never be,
Not without you beside me.


Broken and tired I returned to that sea
To dive beneath the icy waves.
Down, down, down I went into the deep,
Until I heard you calling in my sleep.


Through the murky vale I heard your wail.
Desperate, I clawed my way to the bottom
And unlatched you from your prison
setting you free and pulling you up.


Onto the shore I dragged your frozen frame,
And with loving arms I embraced you once again.
Running my fingers across your frigid cheek,
I realize without you, I am just too weak.


So never more will I leave you alone,
To wallow in the deep like a star unshone.
Together we will shine true and bright,
Now that I’ve overcome my fright.


It doesn’t matter what they will say,
They’ll never understand us anyway.
Through the truth we will be set free,
to see just how beautiful we can really be.


-R.T. Edwins
(c) 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment