Monday, February 13, 2023

Decision for Life and Soul

The most important decision I made in my life was my decision to transition genders. If I hadn’t done that I would undoubtedly be dead right now. I know it sounds dramatic but it’s the ugly truth about this condition called gender dysphoria. In some ways it is almost a terminal illness if left untreated.  Have you ever had to stand on the ledge deciding between destroying everything in your life or ending your life? Because that’s the choice I had to make for me to finally feel at home in my body, in the world, and in my heart. I had to burn it all to the ground and start over again. I had to go through puberty a second time at the age of 29. I lost my wife, the person I loved more than anyone in the entire world. She was my best friend and now we basically never talk to each other. I had to walk away from a career I’d spent 5 years in. I had to walk away from friends and family members who would never try to understand my decision. But more than all of those things, the one that hurt in a uniquely singular way was losing the ability to ever return to church, or so I thought.

 

I can’t begin to explain the numerous little changes that my life and body went through when I stopped producing testosterone and started taking estrogen. I am a completely different person than I was before. That former identity, now hollowed out and decaying from neglect, is only a part of what I’m referring to. The body I now live in has only ever known estrogen as the primary sex hormone. Literally every single cell in my body has replicated and been replaced in the many years since I began this voyage through gender transition. So when I made the decision to come back to church after ten years away, it wasn’t really the same person who’d been baptized. Sure I had the memories of going to early morning seminary at 5:30 in the morning. Sure I remember going down into the baptismal font at the ripe age of 19. And I can never forget the wonderful experiences I had in the institute building during college. But those things feel like memories from a different life, one mired with an unquenchable craving for belonging.

 

I think back then I hoped to belong to a family, to a community, or to a joint purpose of heart, never realizing that what I really needed was to belong to myself. Can you understand what I mean? Can you step into my shoes and vicariously feel the impenetrable darkness of that feeling? How does one not belong to themselves?

 

That is what gender dysphoria felt like to me, never belonging to myself, never understanding why or how that was even possible. I tried so hard and in so many different ways to fill that darkness with the light of other things. With church, with friends, with love, with marriage, with sex, with drugs, and finally with alcohol. None of it satisfied. None of it shone further than a few feet in that veiled abyss of existential torment. I hated everything about who I was. I hated the way I looked, the way I sounded when I spoke, the way people saw me, and the way my body felt wrong in some way that I couldn’t have put words to. I hated being put in the box with the other men who always felt alien and confusing to me. I tried so hard to make that box my home, to stay there and bear it with dignity but I got to a point where being in that box even a minute longer than I had to be would be the literal death of me.

 

We all have crosses to bear in this life, and that is mine: to know that inside I’m a girl and on the outside I am something else. Even now, after 8 years of hormone replacement therapy, I still experience that feeling of incongruence. It’s dramatically less than it used to be. It used to be an ever-present torment all hours of the day and night, but now it’s more of a tedious annoyance that I forget about sometimes. No longer does it threaten my will to live and push me to the brink of killing myself.

 

In terms of belonging to myself I will explain it this way. Back before I fully accepted that I was transgender it felt like I was lost at sea, floating in the darkness with no sense of direction or how far away from my home I was. It felt inescapable, like I was doomed to just wait until dehydration withered my body until I gave up the ghost. Today, however, it feels like I live in the right apartment building, but the unit I actually should live in is just out of reach. I still have somewhere to lay my head at night, and I still get to point to the building and say I live there, but it’s still not quite the way it should be. You know how most apartment buildings have some units on the same floor that are WAY nicer and bigger than the others? Well I’m on the correct floor, but I’m in the smallest most uncomfortable unit instead of the nice one at the other end of the hall.

 

Much of the time I can walk through the world as if I am in that correct unit, but it never fails that there is something that knocks me down a few pegs, just to remind me that I’ll never be a “real” girl. That’s what I mean when I say I’m in the most uncomfortable apartment. It’s akin to being punched in the gut and having the wind knocked out of you, except instead of everyone being worried about you being okay, they are more affronted or confused about why you are pain. Although they never say it, people’s unconscious behaviors seem to say, “You chose this life as a transgender person, so what did you expect? You didn’t think we’d see you the same as the rest of us ‘real’ women, did you?”

 

So why on earth would I choose to go back to a church that is so incredibly unprepared for someone like me? Am I a glutton for punishment? Am I some kind of masochist who enjoys the torment and humiliation of social inequality? I can honestly say that I am not either of those things. What I am, though, is a daughter of God who has an unshakeable testimony of his restored gospel. Even when I lost my faith completely and vowed to never return to church, a piece of me always knew the truth of the Book of Mormon. I could never forget the powerful experience I had upon first reading first Nephi, chapter 1, verse 1. That’s all it took, “I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents…” and WHAM, I knew it was true. I could never deny that experience, even when I became convinced that Joseph Smith had made the whole thing up. So why come back? Because my heart tells me that this is where I belong, and always have.

 

Ever since I was a child, I have sought after God almost constantly. I have always felt the pull to commune with the divine and have had an almost constant desire to devote my life to God completely. So much so that before I joined the church, I contemplated becoming a Catholic priest, and later after I transitioned and left the latter-day saint church, I looked into becoming a Catholic nun. I wanted to devote every waking moment to my heavenly father, and nothing in this world has ever satisfied that desire nearly as well as being an active Latter-day Saint.

 

I’ve been baptized Catholic, I’ve attended nearly every kind of church out there, and I have sought out truth through eastern religions and pagan beliefs. None of them had what I wanted or needed. The only thing that even came close to meeting my need for this connect during my 10 year departure from the church, was Judaism.

 

The two years of attending shabbat services, taking a class taught by the Rabbi on Judaism, and weekly adherence to the practices of making the sabbath day holy were some of the most rewarding years of my life. It felt like I was getting back to the roots of my faith in God. It was like contemplating the higher mysteries and embracing the simple connection to Adonai, Hashem, or Heavenly father (you pick which term feels best to you). I think I had to go through that to truly, fully, appreciate the importance of the Saviors atonement. Everything about his life and his sacrifice have been amplified a hundred fold now that I’ve spent that time embracing Adonai the way the jews have through history.

 

So the second most important decision I’ve ever made in my life was my decision to return to church as my true authentic self. I would say it was my decision to be baptized into the church, but even that pales in comparison to the leap of faith I had to take when I decided to come back to church. Baptism was exciting and I very much looked forward to it, but it was easy choice to make. This decision, however, filled me with terror and confusion. I kept asking myself over and over again if I was really going to go through with my plan to come back. I fretted over it, wrestled with it, and ultimately overcame the terror because my heart told me I needed to come back, that God would pave the way for me.

 

More than this I knew that it wasn’t just about me coming back and attending church, it meant that I was accepting a mission to become a spokesperson for transgender latter-day saints. I knew that I wouldn’t have the luxury of just sitting comfortably with allies in the ward. I was told by the spirit, in no uncertain terms, that the lord had a great and marvelous work and I was to be an instrument in that work. My desire to devote my life to God had finally arrived, and as much as I wanted to shrink from the task, I knew that this was what I was made for. This is why I was sent here as a transgender person. This was why I had to go through all of my troubles and trials. This was why I had to overcome all my various failures and losses, because I was being prepared to be able to endure the seemingly impossible task of calling the church to repentance in how it treats transgender individuals. I had to know what rock bottom was like so I could find the serenity of surrender to a higher calling and purpose. Nothing in this temporal plane matters all that much except the things we do and the lives we touch. I am here to touch the lives of those who feel rejected, marginalized, and invisible so that they know that their father in heaven loves them unconditionally, even if his children who run the church don’t always live up to that.

 

My first most important decision was to do the seemingly impossible so that I could belong to myself. My second most important decision was to do the seemingly impossible so that I could belong to my father in heaven. And to him, may my lips forever sing his praise: Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu, melekh ha'olam

No comments:

Post a Comment